Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Met Todd Field! (And Other Thoughts)

Yes, I met Todd Field. And A.O. Scott was there too, but this isn't about him. It was an amazing experience at one in a series of lectures put on by Emory University called "Artists and Critics." Todd Field recounted his experiences as a filmmaker and his insights into the industry with very little pretension. Even A.O. Scott, who I'm not a huge fan of, was not nearly as full of himself as I thought he would be. There was this nice little moment where A.O. Scott was singing Clint Eastwood's praises for about ten minutes straight. It was very fanboy-esque and I think I actually saw Todd Field roll his eyes once.

I still need to post reviews of Burn After Reading and Happy Go Lucky, both of which I had the pleasure of finally seeing last week. I also saw Towelhead on Friday, which I will also review. I have seen a lot of really bad movies this year. But for what it's trying to achieve, and the already anointed talent behind it, I don't think there has been a movie in 2008 that I have violently disliked as much as Towelhead. I can almost guarantee that it ends up on my worst movies of 2008 list.

More to come later...

No comments: