Outstanding Performance by a Cast
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Slumdog Millionaire
I've already said my piece about the Slumdog Millionaire nomination for best ensemble, but it bears repeating. RIDICULOUS. Did it really need this nomination? Especially since this is not an actorly movie at all, whatsoever? Especially since it would have gotten a best picture nomination regardless? It's best ensemble, people. Not best picture. Where the hell is Rachel Getting Married. Like it or not, it's true ensemble work, n'est pas? (broken record). This indicates major support for this movie from the acting branch, who make up a large part of the Academy. It only solidifies what we've already known. Slumdog is simply too big to lose right now. A best picture nod is assured. A win is likely.
Predicted Winner: Milk. I'm hoping SAG realizes that of the five nominees, this is the truest ensemble piece. Benjamin Button could also win. If Slumdog Millionaire wins...oh Lordy.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
- Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
- Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
- Sean Penn - Milk
- Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Predicted Winner: Sean Penn, easily. If Eastwood had been nominated, he would have been a threat. I'd be very surprised to see anyone else win this.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
- Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
- Angelina Jolie - Changeling
- Melissa Leo - Frozen River
- Meryl Streep - Doubt
- Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Predicted Winner: Anne Hathaway (just a hunch). Obviously Streep is the safer choice.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
- Josh Brolin - Milk
- Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
- Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
- Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire
Predicted Winner: Heath Ledger. If he loses the Golden Globe, it's anyone's game...
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
- Amy Adams - Doubt
- Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- Viola Davis - Doubt
- Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Kate Winslet - The Reader
Predicted Winner: Kate Winslet.