Golden Globe Nominations
Best Film - Drama
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- The Reader
- Revolutionary Road
- Slumdog Millionaire
Predicted Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Though Slumdog Millionaire could easily upset. Anything else would be a surprise.
Best Film - Musical or Comedy
- Burn After Reading
- In Bruges
- Mamma Mia!
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona
This is an exciting category since the HFPA is not bound to award the film with the best Oscar chances. All of these films have very little chance at a best picture nod. Thank God they didn't nominate High School Musical.
Predicted Winner: Burn After Reading (it's definitely the most popular of the five, right?)
Best Actor - Drama
- Leonardo DiCaprio - Revolutionary Road
- Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
- Sean Penn - Milk
- Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Who takes a hit? Clint Eastwood. If the Globes, in all of their starfucking, couldn't see fit to honor Clint Eastwood for Gran Torino (in what admittedly looks like a pretty wretched, laughable performance) then where does that leave him? The SAGs will tell and don't forget he got an acting nod for Million Dollar Baby when the precursors weren't rallying, but this is a pretty big hit. I for one hope he gets passed over. Having Clint out of the race automatically makes things simpler. Because if he's nominated, he'll probably win. Ugh.
Predicted Winner: For now, I'm saying Penn, but if they loved Milk enough to give it to him, why no best picture or director nod? They've awarded DiCaprio before, and Langella is playing a real person who's NOT gay. That always helps. This could also be where Rourke makes his move. Very volatile indeed.
Best Actor - Musical or Comedy
- Javier Bardem - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- Colin Farrell - In Bruges
- James Franco - Pineapple Express
- Brendan Gleeson - In Bruges
- Dustin Hoffman - Last Chance Harvey
Predicted Winner: Dustin Hoffman
Best Actress - Drama
- Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
- Angelina Jolie - Changeling
- Meryl Streep - Doubt
- Kristin Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime)
- Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Who takes a hit? One could say Melissa Leo for Frozen River, but she was NEVER going to get a Golden Globe nomination. They love their stars and the film is simply too small for them. Period. I'd say this hurts Cate Blanchett. I personally was never really buying the lead actress buzz for her Benjamin Button performance. Not for one minute. Hopefully I won't have to think about it anymore.
Predicted Winner: I think Meryl Streep will win this handily. If (big IF) there's a spoiler, I believe it's Ms. Hathaway. If Winslet wins here, it's down to her and Streep for the Oscar.
Best Actress - Musical or Comedy
- Rebecca Hall - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- Sally Hawkins - Happy-Go-Lucky
- Frances McDormand - Burn After Reading
- Meryl Streep - Mamma Mia!
- Emma Thompson - Last Chance Harvey
Predicted Winner: Sally Hawkins
Best Supporting Actor
- Tom Cruise - Tropic Thunder
- Robert Downey, Jr. - Tropic Thunder
- Ralph Fiennes - The Duchess
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
- Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Predicted Winner: I think this is where the Heath Ledger steamroll begins.
Best Supporting Actress
- Amy Adams - Doubt
- Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- Viola Davis - Doubt
- Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
- Kate Winslet - The Reader
Predicted Winner: Penelope Cruz. Though we could see the start of a Kate Winslet sweep in this category, which would suck beyond the telling of it.
- Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
- Stephen Daldry - The Reader
- David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
- Sam Mendes - Revolutionary Road
Predicted Winner: David Fincher
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Eric Roth
- Doubt - John Patrick Shanley
- Frost/Nixon - Peter Morgan
- The Reader - David Hare
- Slumdog Millionaire - Simon Beaufoy
Predicted Winner: This is a good place to reward Slumdog Millionaire.
Best Foreign Language Film
- The Baader Meinhof Complex (Der Baader Meinhof Komplex) • Germany
- Everlasting Moments (Maria Larssons eviga ögonblick) • Denmark/Sweden
- Gomorrah (Gomorra) • Italy
- I've Loved You So Long (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime) • France
- Waltz with Bashir (Vals im Bashir) • Israel
Best Animated Film
- Kung Fu Panda
Best Original Score
- "Changeling" - Clint Eastwood
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - Alexandre Desplat
- "Defiance" - James Newton Howard
- "Frost/Nixon" - Hans Zimmer
- "Slumdog Millionaire" - A. R. Rahman
Best Original Song
- "I Thought I Lost You" - Bolt
- "Once in a Lifetime" - Cadillac Records
- "Gran Torino" - Gran Torino
- "Down to Earth" - WALL-E
- "The Wrestler" - The Wrestler