Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Best of the Aughts Continued -- 2002

My top ten from 2002 looked a little something like this...

1. Far from Heaven (Todd Haynes)
2. Adaptation (Spike Jonze)
3. The Pianist (Roman Polanski)
4. 28 Days Later (Danny Boyle)
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Peter Jackson)
6. Y Tu Mama Tambien (Alfonso Cuaron)
7. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodovar)
8. About Schmidt (Alexander Payne)
9. Secretary (Steven Shainberg)
10. The Hours (Stephen Daldry)

Wow...I ranked The Hours lower than Secretary? All things considered, a mostly respectable list. I'd still put Todd Haynes's singular work of brilliance, Far From Heaven at the top of my list, though my feelings about Adaptation have cooled considerably since then (save Streep's performance). The Pianist is pretty high up there, but should probably be one notch higher as it is one of the best films of the past ten years, bar none. And the aforementioned womanly masterpiece that is The Hours has been revisted more than any film on the list and would rank much much higher, at least in the top three.

Films I Missed: 25th Hour (so ashamed about this one), 8 Women, About a Boy, Morvern Callar, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Salton Sea.

1 comment:

Simon said...

Shamest me to have missed 25th Hour too. Have About a Boy, though, so call it penence.