Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If My Top Ten of '08 List Came out Today...

It'd probably look something like this:

1. Rachel Getting Married
(followed by a big jump)
2. Synechdoche, New York (though I still need to see it again. It's incredibly heartwrenching, I'll say that.)
3. Happy-Go-Lucky
4. The Dark Knight
5. Vicky Cristina Barcelona
6.
A Girl Cut in Two
7. Burn After Reading
8.
Stop Loss
9.
Frozen River
10. Quantum of Solace

My Acting Awards would go to:

Best Actress in a Leading Role:
Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married. Period. The End.

Best Actor in a Leading Role:
Hmm...I guess, it would go to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Synechdoche, New York. But, honestly, there hasn't been a leading male performance I've seen this year that's made me go "Wow" yet. Isn't that sad? I still need to watch The Visitor and Elegy. And of course, there's Milk on Sunday, which (I'm not getting my hopes up too much...okay, maybe I am) may change things...

Best Supporting Actress
I'm really REALLY tempted to say Dianne Wiest in Synechdoche, New York...so different from anything she's ever done before. But I suppose, when the freshness wears down, my heart will still settle on Rosemarie Dewitt for Rachel Getting Married. I also want to acknowledge Misty Upham in Frozen River and Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona, both of whom are sure to make my shortlist come year's end.

Best Supporting Actor:
Believe it or not, it's a tight contest between Benoît Magimel for A Girl Cut in Two and Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight. But I think I'm going with Heath.

This is of course without the benefit of having seen Australia, which I'm seeing tomorrow, Milk, which I'm seeing Sunday. Plus, I plan on watching Elegy, The Visitor, The Duchess, Wall-E plus a few others I have missed. It seems very unlikely at this point that there's a film that could come out this year that could possibly knock Rachel Getting Married or Hathaway out of their respective top spots. But we shall see...

1 comment:

Sally Belle said...

Just saw The Visitor. Great! Oh my...Richard Jenkins is superb.

Loved Rachel Getting Married as well. Just saw it...need to write about it. Still absorbing.